7.14.2012

I bought myself a few treats...

I hardly ever buy yarn anymore. Because I knit almost exclusively for work and already possess a large stash, I tend to indulge in purchasing knitting tools and project bags instead of yarn, since I can use and enjoy these types of items while I work.

My yarn wall, located conveniently in our living room.

This week, though, I made a few exceptions. The yarn wall still has room for a few more skeins, after all!

First up was a fantastic skein of sock yarn from Black Trillium Fibre Studio. I've had Melanie's shop in my favorites for quite some time, and finally broke down and made my first purchase during her moving sale. It won't be my last - look at this beauty!

 Pebble Sock in Chennai; 100% Superwash Merino, 380 yards, 100 gram skein
Melanie's shop photo showed a rather darker version of this colorway, but I was still pretty pleased with the skein I received. This has a lovely tight twist to it, and I'm already dreaming about having time to knit with it. Who am I kidding? That's not gonna happen for months. In the meantime, it gets a premium spot right up front in the sock cubby.

My second purchase was just made a few days ago while I was down at the Lake of the Ozarks. One of the guild members I visited with owns a lovely shop called The Yarn Basket, so I stopped by and fell in love with this yarn.

This is Plymouth's Nazca, color 10; 77% Alpaca, 18% Silk, 5% Nylon, 142yards per 100 gram skein.

I'm a sucker for a gorgeous novelty yarn, and while a boucle doesn't COMPLETELY qualify as a novelty, it's definitely unusual. This is both fabulously soft and fabulously squishy, and I'm thinking it's going to become a big, fluffy cowl of some kind. Or legwarmers. Or mittens.

Anyone else splurged on a fantastic yarn lately? Surely I can't be the only one...
_________________________________________________

Picks of the Day:

Want your Etsy Mini in this spot? Click here!

3 comments:

  1. The pebble sock yarn looks scrumtious. What are you going to make with them? It makes me want to knit stripes with a nice complementing purple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Melanie's yarn and recently purchase a skein of her Pebble in the color Sand. I splurged and bought two skeins of worsted weight yarn from Maya of Springtree Road. (www.springtreeroad.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did get some new yarn recently, but it was more of a "How do I not have any neutral colored cardigans to wear to this wedding?!" than a splurge. I am super impressed by your organized yarn wall though. I keep saying I'm going to get my stash under control, but I think at this point it's going to have to wait til we're in a bigger place or I get some serious stash busting done!

    ReplyDelete